Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Chokehold of Companionship

Perhaps a subconscious after-affect of being a middle child, I am always trying to carve out a niche for myself. To find friends and activities and things of my own. To find my own identity outside of those to whom I am in close proximity. (Many times this involves me becoming overly animated in large groups, working to garner the attentions and affections of those around me, though quite often it probably just makes me annoying.)

For this reason, I was excited to go to Korea. A place full of the unknown. A place where no one knew me. It was supposed to be a place to explore and start over. A chance to be independent and adventurous. Along with me would come two friends to be sidekicks, to keep each other company, and to adventure alongside each other.

However, instead of gaining independence and freedom, living here has become suffocating and strangely lonely. I am not sure what is making me feel like this, but here is what I think:

I would have been much better off coming to Korea alone. It would have forced me to do things for myself. Yet, because other people came along, I became dependent on them, solely because they were there and because I am somewhat lazy and slow about things. So, instead of becoming independent, I have become, in fact, more dependent.

There has developed a horrifying group-identity that contributes to feelings of suffocation. Everyone we have met, we have met as a group. Everything we do, we do as a group. Anywhere we go, we go as a group. Therefore, I am not Rachel. I am Jessica-Heather-Rachel. I find it to be that the group is identified and labeled by the person who is consistently outspoken and loud. However, this is usually the person that I differ from the most, and though I want to be friends with them, I do not want to be them. I have been lost in the shuffle and wake of others.

Maybe the most trying thing about a group identity is the assumptions placed upon you by others in the group. It is assumed if they want to go, that you want to go too. If they feel hungry for a hamburger, you must feel hungry for a hamburger too. It’s not really so much an assumption as it is a vicarious blanketing of your thoughts. Your thoughts are not even your own.

Similarly, there are the expectations. If they make plans to eat dinner with someone, you are expected to go. If they are going grocery shopping, you are supposed to go grocery shopping. Yet, if you say “no,” there lingers a nagging air of disapproval that you are not following the group. Sometimes I think I say "no" just to be different. I might really want to do what they are doing, but I want to express my independence, so I do it in a very childlike way. I might really want to hang out with our mutual friends, but I don't like the thought of being cloaked and covered by someone else, so I don't go. I am a social person, yet I have become somewhat of a hermit in order to avoid feeling suffocated.

I do not care to have people speak for me, make my plans, or control my social life. I thought managing your own life was supposed to be one of the perks of being single! Maybe this is a way to wrangle the selfishness out of me.

I wouldn’t have made a good Nazi.

7 comments:

  1. I am determine to write a comment. This is my 5th attempt. Hopefully it works. Hello Rachel. I think I can relate to the situation. The Triumvirate is unintentionally crushing. Sometimes I think, how did Rachel hear that conversation? Do they just sit around going over every one of my conversations. Sometimes you three do act as a unit. What is said to one is essentially said to all, which is really great that you guys (ya'll) have that sort of openness and communication. I used to be part a threesome and for the most part I was in tune with each. Now I am sort of naked, trying to find cover. Hey, but that is an opinion of an outsider. Sometimes it is enjoyable to be alone. Hey I don't want take too much of your time. I just thought I owed you the favor. you were after all nice enough to post something on my blog. Thanks by the way. Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know whether to be flattered because I had 3 such flattering (not) photos on your blog or to be slightly insulted because Aunt Susan is wise and organized (wise maybe, but she really pulled one over on you if you think she is organized....have you ever seen her basement??) and I am only practical!! Oh well, I am resigned to my obscure branch on the family tree.
    The arms are a gift from the BeeBaw gene pool...some people inherit money or jewels from their relatives we got upper arms that flap in the breeze! Have you gotten the fat ankles yet?? They were part of the inheritance too!
    Aunt Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand being lonely in a group. But maybe if you had gone there all alone, you would feel even worse. It is extremely hard and rewarding to move somewhere by yourself. If you last through the extreme loneliness phase, you find yourself in a new life full of different people that you love... but it's just surviving till you get to that point. So maybe the group identity is worth it since you're so very far away from everyone and everything that you are familiar with. maybe not. guess it's too late now? i dont think saying "no" just b/c is childish. it makes a lot of sense. but say no and then DO something. no hermits allowed. i think staying home alone only worsens the yucky feelings. love ya. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel! Remember me, Elias? I've been reading your blogs and decided to respond (I have been enjoying them lots BTW!). When I met you in Korea, I noticed how you sometimes shyed away from being part of the group. I'm sorry your situation hasn't gotten better. I can tell you that venturing out on your own is something you should definitely do while you're there. Some of my most memorable moments in Korea were spent trying to find my way around and learning to fend for myself. Definitely maintain that group bond (many times I wish I had had one), but don't be afraid to go out and explore. And most importantly, have fun! Hope your situation improves! (If you need any advice, feel free to contact me at et_teacher@yahoo.com).

    Your friend in Texas,
    Elias

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel! Remember me, Elias? I've been reading your blogs and decided to respond (I have been enjoying them lots BTW!). When I met you in Korea, I noticed how you sometimes shyed away from being part of the group. I'm sorry your situation hasn't gotten better. I can tell you that venturing out on your own is something you should definitely do while you're there. Some of my most memorable moments in Korea were spent trying to find my way around and learning to fend for myself. Definitely maintain that group bond (many times I wish I had had one), but don't be afraid to go out and explore. And most importantly, have fun! Hope your situation improves! (If you need any advice, feel free to contact me at et_teacher@yahoo.com).

    Your friend in Texas,
    Elias

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the double post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are showing signs to become who you are meant to be. You are growing away from what has always identified you and moving forward. Your friends will move with you or not; but you can cherish the moments you have with them and blessed by their presence in your life. Each person you meet and have some level of relationship will add to you who are and who you are becoming. Have fun and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete