Friday, March 30, 2007

Sepak Takraw

I was walking down by the river next to my house the other day when I saw people playing a strange game on a tennis court. They were using a soccer ball and they were playing with the rules of volleyball - passes, sets, and spikes - but instead of using their arms and hands, they were only using their feet, head, and shoulders. "This is fantastic!" I thought. "What is it?"

Coincidentally, the next day, I saw an interview on David Letterman with the man who covered the Asian Games for Sports Illustrated. He talked about a game called sepak takraw. Sepak takraw developed in Malaysia about 500 years ago, and is a specialty of southeast Asia. I think this is what I saw the guys playing down by the river. They are quick, agile, and acrobatic. You know in soccer when they do bicycle kicks and land on their backs? Well, these guys do bicycle kicks and are quick enough to land back on their feet. Awesome.

Here's a little clip:


Take a trip to the 2006 Asian games website. It's very well designed and it offers great information, pictures, and clips about all the sports.

1 comment: