Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Everyone Knows It's Windy

The other evening, I ran out to the store, about a 10 minute walk. Little did I know that during those 10 minutes, I would be caught in a miniature monsoon which would result in a dastardly physical transformation.

I had the store in sight. I was about 60 seconds away when I walked into a whirlwind. No stranger to wind whipping in every direction, I clung unswervingly to my $4 umbrella, which performed like a champ for approximately 10 seconds. I was so proud of that umbrella for those 10 seconds. I thought, "Who knew $4 could withstand so much! What a great buy. No need to buy expen...." WHAP!

Without warning, one of its thin, spidery, metal legs gave out and lashed my cheek, just below my eye. No longer sheltered from the elements, the rain poured down on me and the wind ransacked my hair and my jacket. When I made it to the store, I caught a glimpse of myself. Not only was I completely dishovled, but I had a huge red slash across my face. It looked like I had been out pillaging and plundering with my pirate friends and stopped off at the store for a celebratory apple juice. I struggled to fold my wonky umbrella, and as I walked in the store, I was met with some snickers and dubiously raised eyebrows. I probably looked like a criminal.

As I left, no sooner had I opened my umbrella than it whipped inside out, except of course for the wonky wing, which served as a spout for the water to pour on my head. I ended up just dragging it behind me the rest of the way home.

Lesson: you can settle for cheap, but it will come back to slap you in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment