Friday, May 11, 2007

The Judge Is In

Due in part to the military station I get here, I am constantly barraged by commercials and newscasts chocked full of politicians and dignitaries thanking troops serving in Iraq for "protecting our freedom." It is well and fine that people want to thank and encourage the soldiers. However, I take issue with the phrase "protecting our freedom."

Really? Is that what this is all about? Because if it was, that might be something that I could really get behind. But at no point in the past 3 years have I felt that my freedom was being threatened by Iraq. I probably take too simplistic and narrow a view, but I fail to see how what the military is doing is promoting and protecting the United States. I do understand that they are trying to clean up and repair the damage done by the initial invasion, but I wish that people would stop labeling it as something else and hiding behind the ever-appeasing guise of freedom.

As a side note, I read somewhere that Judge Judy is worth about $95 million, and she is worth every penny. I would like to be her someday. Basically, she gets paid to let people know how ridiculous they are - and she doesn't even have to be nice about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment