Friday, July 27, 2007

Buzz Kill

Ahhhh. The familiar, plaintive, midsummer chorus of cicadas attracting mates. Or a troop of kitchen blenders grinding away at a cup of nickels, hiding out of reach in trees and effectively annoying everyone in a 2-mile radius.

The cicadas here are SO LOUD. Apparently, the female cicadas are DEAF and the males have to go all out to get any attention from the ladies. The little park down the street is a cicada stronghold. By park, I mean an area about the size of my parents' living room, and by stronghold, I mean it's so loud that I have to cover my ears while walking through.

I remember finding cicada skins when I was little, and they were usually pretty small - about an inch and a half. A few nights ago I found a dead cicada on the sidewalk and I'd say it was at least 4 inches and all thick and juicy. It's probably best they only come out every 17 years.

3 comments:

  1. That thing in your picture is a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

    ReplyDelete